MENU

October 19, 2016

From The Hold Shelf (Or What I'm About To Read)...

As I was taking a picture of "The Girl With The Lower Back Tattoo" by Amy Schumer for Instagram yesterday I realized that I haven't done a From The Hold Shelf post since March. So I decided I needed to get on that and share what I'm reading/listening to with you guys...
•   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •

"Washington: A Life" by Ron Chernow
Celebrated biographer Ron Chernow provides a richly nuanced portrait of the father of our nation and the first president of the United States. With a breadth and depth matched by no other one volume biography of George Washington, this crisply paced narrative carries the reader through his adventurous early years, his heroic exploits with the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War, his presiding over the Constitutional Convention, and his magnificent performance as America's first president. In this groundbreaking work, based on massive research, Chernow shatters forever the stereotype of George Washington as a stolid, unemotional figure and brings to vivid life a dashing, passionate man of fiery opinions and many moods.

•   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •

 The Emmy Award-winning comedian, actress, writer, and star of Inside Amy Schumer and the acclaimed film Trainwreck has taken the entertainment world by storm with her winning blend of smart, satirical humor. Now, Amy Schumer has written a refreshingly candid and uproariously funny collection of (extremely) personal and observational essays.  

In The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo, Amy mines her past for stories about her teenage years, her family, relationships, and sex and shares the experiences that have shaped who she is—a woman with the courage to bare her soul to stand up for what she believes in, all while making us laugh.  

Ranging from the raucous to the romantic, the heartfelt to the harrowing, this highly entertaining and universally appealing collection is the literary equivalent of a night out with your best friend—an unforgettable and fun adventure that you wish could last forever. Whether she’s experiencing lust-at-first-sight while in the airport security line, sharing her own views on love and marriage, admitting to being an introvert, or discovering her cross-fit instructor’s secret bad habit, Amy Schumer proves to be a bighearted, brave, and thoughtful storyteller that will leave you nodding your head in recognition, laughing out loud, and sobbing uncontrollably—but only because it’s over.

•   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •

Because I couldn't get my hands on a copy of "Alexander Hamilton" by Ron Chernow (Justin has a copy of it on his Kindle but I refuse to use an e-reader) I started listening to Chernow's "Washington: A Life" because Adam Savage was talking so highly of it on an episode of his podcast Still Untitled. And I must agree with Adam, it is an excellent biography and I was only up to chapter nineteen when my hold expired (I had it downloaded on Overdrive and now I have to wait to get it again). So as soon as I get my hands on another copy and finish it, I'll let you know how I feel about the rest of it.

Now because I can't finish that book I'm going to start Amy Schumer's "The Girl With The Lower Back Tattoo" which Nicole told me is funny as hell. We shall see...

Are you reading anything good, bad or meh right now? I'd love to know what you're reading.

No comments :

Post a Comment